Julianna B. Walo is an attorney in the Justice for Kids Division of Kelley Kronenberg. From the firm’s Chicago office, she assists in providing legal services to abused, disabled, and catastrophically injured children harmed at home, in child welfare and foster care settings, group home settings and residential treatment centers, as well as all children harmed by the acts of others.
Prior to joining the firm, Julianna gained experience at a Chicago-based firm where she provided legal analysis of wrongful death, catastrophic injury, toxic tort, product liability, premises liability, and construction negligence cases. She provided pro bono services for a prisoner’s civil rights suit.
She also served as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Moira S. Johnson in the Law Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County, handling a wide variety of responsibilities including drafting judicial orders and opinions on behalf of the Court and conferring with judges for the resolution of cases.
While in law school, Juliana was lead articles editor of the Review of Intellectual Property Law; served as president of the Polish American Law Student Association; worked as an extern for the Honorable Brigid M. McGrath in the Commercial Calendar of the Circuit Court of Cook County; volunteered at the Animal Legal Defense Fund; and was a member of the Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Society.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Julianna managed a child and adolescent mental health practice that provided psychiatric and therapeutic services. There she gained firsthand experience with the physical and emotional needs of vulnerable youth and the protections these children require. She also oversaw subcontracting medical services to in-residential facilities for minors that require specialized psychiatric care.
Additionally, Julianna possesses administrative experience in children’s’ medication management, standards of ‘over medicating,’ changing medications, and the long terms effects children can experience after prolonged exposure to psychotropic medications.
In 2021, Julianna was appointed to the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) Standing Committee on Delivery of Legal Services. This group seeks out low income populations and educates them about various opportunities for obtaining legal services. Also in 2021, the Illinois State Bar President appointed Juliana to the Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations- Cook County, where she is charged with investigating judicial candidates who are both running and seeking retention as well as providing a recommendation as to their fitness as a judge.
- Personal Injury/ Civil Rights
- Foster Care/Disabled Persons Damages
- Children’s Rights
- Sexual Assault
- Illinois Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- University of Illinois Chicago UIC Law, J.D., 2017
- DePaul University, B.A. 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Member of the ISBA Standing Committee on Delivery of Legal Services for 2021-2022
- Appointed member of the ISBA Standing Committee on Judicial Evaluations- Cook County for 2021-2022
- Member of the ISBA Child Law Section
- Chicago Bar Association
- Advocates Society
- Polish American Chamber of Commerce
Civic and Community Involvement
- Attorney Judge, Chicago Coalition for Law-Related Education
- Member, AMVOTE Judicial Exchange Committee, 2018
- Volunteer Child Representative and Guardian Ad Litem for minors, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS)
- Associate Board Member, Connections for Abused Woman and their Children
- Volunteer, Chicago Marathon for the Advocate Charitable Foundation
- Volunteer, St. Hyacinth Basilica’s Program for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Volunteer, St. Francis Xavier School
- Volunteer, Animal Legal Defense Fund
- Member, The Greater Chicago Cage Bird Society
- Super Lawyers magazine, Illinois “Rising Stars”, 2020– 2021