Stacie J. Schmerling is a Partner with Justice for Kids, Florida’s first law firm dedicated exclusively to protecting the rights of abused, disabled, and injured children. She practices in the areas of foster care and disabled persons damages, civil rights, personal injury, and child welfare litigation.
Prior to joining Justice for Kids, Stacie was part of a legal team at Colodny, Fass, Talenfeld, Karlinsky, Abate & Webb, P.A.’s foster care / disabled persons damages practice area headed by Howard Talenfeld.
Stacie earned her Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, from Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, where she was a Goodwin Scholarship recipient.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Stacie dedicated the first ten years of her career to the protection of at-risk children. A former child protective investigator and child protective investigator supervisor for the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Stacie supervised a six-person staff that investigated allegations of child abuse and neglect, provided intervention services to families at risk and brought serious cases of child abuse and neglect to the dependency court system. Prior to that, she facilitated safety and permanency for abused and neglected children in the state foster care system for the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services.
In addition to her years of experience as a child protective investigator and case manager, Stacie earned a Certification in Child Advocacy from Montclair State University. This post-Bachelor of Arts Certificate Program emphasized a multidisciplinary understanding of the child advocate’s role as seen through the disciplines of law, sociology and psychology.
Stacie earned her Bachelor of Arts in Law and Justice, magna cum laude, from Rowan University.
- Personal Injury
- Civil Rights
- Foster Care
- Disabled Persons Damages
- Children’s Rights
- Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law Center, J.D., summa cum laude (2010)
- Montclair State University, Child Advocacy Certificate (2002)
- Rowan University, B.A., Law/Justice, magna cum laude (1998)
- Bar Admissions
- Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Broward County Bar Association
- Florida’s Children First Advisory Board (2014)
- Daily Business Review Rising Star (2015)
- Florida Children’s First – Tracey McPharlin Award “Unsung Hero” (2015)
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite “Up and Comers” (2014)
- Child Investigative Supervisor Employee of the Month, Broward Sheriff’s Office, Child Protective Investigations Section (May 2007)
- Child Protective Investigator Employee of the Month, Broward Sheriff’s Office, Child Protective Investigations Section (June 2004)
- Florida Bar Examination Study Guide and Selected Answers, March 2011; Stacie’s essay on Real Property from the July 2010 Florida Bar Exam was selected for publication.
- Combating the “Baby Dumping” Epidemic: A Look at Florida’s Safe Haven Law, 33 Nova L. Rev. 245 (Fall 2008)